Sunday, December 21, 2014

Shout out to a local shopkeeper

After last winter, I decided I’d shoveled enough snow for my lifetime.

I had never owned a snow blower, so, just to get an idea of what was on the market, I went to a Home Depot after work one day. I envisioned a big display and a knowledgeable sales rep.

My error.

Finding them in the store was easy. Everything else got harder as I went along.

The guy in the snow blower section may as well have been in the bathroom lighting section. I’d done a little reading about snow blowers on the Internet and asked him a couple questions. He didn’t know the answer to either and didn’t offer to refer me or find someone else who might be able to help me.

Still game, I asked him if I made a purchase, would someone be available to help me put it in my car?

His answer was something new to me. He said Home Depot rents small pickup trucks for $19.95 for 45 minutes. I could haul it home myself, somehow get it off the truck, stash it in the garage and then drive back, return the truck and pick up my car.

That just didn't sound very customer friendly to me. I left.

The next day after work, I went to Billings Lawn Equipment on Main Street in Royal Oak.
I anticipated prices would be marked up because it was a smaller store and didn’t have the buying power of a Home Depot.

My error.

A customer rep named Jack Lockman asked if he could do anything for me. Before I could ask him my two questions, Lockman asked me if I knew anything at all about snow blowers. I said no.

He then went into an explanation of each one on the floor and why they were priced the way they were. The prices were, in general, less than Home Depot’s. I decided on a Briggs & Stratton with an electric starter. It listed for $599.99, but I paid $529.99.

I asked how I was going to get it home, since it was too big to fit in my trunk.

The receptionist piped up and asked for my address. She also asked what would be a convenient time to have it delivered.

For free.

When it was delivered, the guy driving the truck gave me on on-the-spot course in how to start it, run it and maintain it. I know he had another delivery to make, but he was very kind, calm and made it seem as though he had nothing else to do.


So I was reminded again why I like to shop and spend dollars locally. I hope you've had the pleasure of learning the same lesson this holiday season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment