Monday, October 13, 2014

Lopsided debate makes me study write-in candidates

I have a friend who is my political polar opposite.

He hasn’t ever voted for a Democrat; likewise, I’ve never voted for a Republican. And while I’m not about to start now, I do have to give credit where it’s due. In last night’s debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Mark Schauer, Snyder mauled him without even trying.

Most of the coverage in today’s media says there was no technical knockout, or TKO. I disagree.

Without rerunning last night’s debate, two things became clear at about the 15-minute mark.

  • The governor was in firm command of the facts, and therefore the debate. 
  • His contender was fine, so long as he stayed within the bounds of his well-rehearsed answers. When a question came up he hadn’t rehearsed, though, Schauer simply fell apart.
This leaves me little choice for the election.

My father was born and raised in Vienna, Austria. When Hitler took Vienna, my dad managed to get out, come here, join the American army and go back to fight.

Because of that, my dad always went to vote – to exercise his right as an American. He taught me never to squander a vote, and to always vote in every election, no matter what.

Even my father, though, had he been sitting next to me last night, would have turned to me and said, “Is this the best man the Democrats could find to run?”

So I feel compelled to vote.

As much sense as Snyder made, I just can’t vote for him. His is the party of obstructionists and fear-mongers. Members of Snyder’s own party call him too liberal. I wish Snyder had run as a Democrat, because he sure acts like one.

Voting for Schauer is out of the question, too. He struck me as an ignorant man without leadership capabilities. Who did him the disservice of pushing him into the arena, anyway?

I’ll have to figure something out in the next 21 days; looks like it’s time to do a little research. There’s still Mary Buzuma from the Libertarian Party; Paul Homeniuk, Green Party; Mark McFarlin, U.S. Taxpayers Party; and Robin Sanders, Independent Party.


One of them might make a fine write-in candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment